- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (may substitute whole wheat pastry or all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder (without aluminium)
- 1TBS flaxseed meal (optional.)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup all-natural evaporated cane sugar
- 1 TBS alcohol-free vanilla flavouring/extract
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ cup milk substitute (I prefer almond)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (opt.)
Preheat oven to 350 F
- Pre oil muffin cups using butter, spray or oil or use paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine lemon juice & milk; set aside a few minutes while combining other ingredients (this creates a curdling, ‘buttermilk’ effect)
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flours, salt, baking powder, & opt. flax seed meal) & set aside.
- In a separate, large bowl, mash bananas.
- Add sugar, oil and vanilla flavouring to banana mixture. Now stir in milk mixture. Mix well.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix until just moistened, being careful not to over-stir (over stirring causes muffins to become tough)
- Fold in optional nuts
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full
- Bake @ 350 F until golden brown (about 20 minutes) & toothpick inserted in muffin centres comes out clean.
Yields 10-12 muffins.
Submitted by: Ashley I.