Many Christians find that a simple guide helps them in finding meaning and enjoyment in daily prayer. Following the steps of the acronym ACTS (adoration, confession, thanksgiving, and supplication) is one often used. The steps of the Lord's Prayer is another.
The model that God gave Moses in the wilderness is my personal favourite. The sanctuary was set up in the wilderness to reveal the ministry of the coming Redeemer. By following the steps the priests took daily in their sanctuary work we can consciously cooperate with our High Priest Jesus in His intercession and ministry for each of us personally in the heavenly sanctuary. Here are the steps:
1) Praise as you enter the gates of prayer
2) Repentance and confession at the altar of sacrifice
3) Daily cleansing, rebaptism, emptying of self and sin at the altar
4) Daily asking for the fullness of the Holy Spirit at the Lampstand
5) Growth: obedience and action as we eat at the table of shewbread
6) Intercession for others at the altar of incense
7) Judgment: investigation, discipline, and instruction, in the Most Holy Place
This model keeps my prayer time interesting. Like King David I have discovered more about God through the sanctuary illustration.
"I have seen You in the sanctuary," David said, " and beheld Your power and Your glory. Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You. I will praise You as long as I live, and in Your name I will lift up my hands." Psalm 63:2-4.
Source: Carrol Johnson Shewmake, author of Sanctuary Secrets to Personal Prayer.